The Latest Brighton News - ITVX
Get the latest news on Brighton from ITV News Team. ITV News, the UK's biggest commercial news organisation.
www.itv.comHere are the latest developments regarding Brighton sea incidents in May 2026.
A tragedy at Brighton beach: The bodies of three women were recovered from the sea near Madeira Drive early on Wednesday, May 12, 2026. Sussex Police confirmed the three fatalities and said they were working to identify the women and notify their next of kin. The coastguard conducted an extensive water search, and at that time there was no indication they were searching for anyone else. This incident led to the temporary closure of the beach east of Volks Railway Black Rock car park for part of the day. [Sky News coverage noting police updates and initial findings ]; [Sky News summary of the incident and ongoing inquiries ]; [South China Morning Post recap of the event and investigation status ].[3][4]
Official updates and investigations: Police described the incident as tragic and stated they were reviewing CCTV and cooperating with partners to determine what happened. The priority was identifying the three women and contacting their families. The coastguard indicated an extensive search of the water had been completed and that no further people were being sought at that stage. [Sky News briefing with quotes from Sussex Police ]; [GB News reporting the same sequence of updates and beach closure ]; [ITV News piece with a live update from Madeira Drive ].[2][8][3]
Public and media coverage: Multiple outlets reported the initial emergency response around 5:45am, and a range of outlets in the UK carried the story with emphasis on the ongoing inquiries and the solemn nature of the incident. Viewers could also access live or updated segments via ITV News and Sky News at that time. [Sky News coverage and timeline ]; [ITV News ongoing coverage and video update ].[8][3]
Related context: There were no ongoing search operations reported for additional individuals beyond the three confirmed fatalities, and the beach remained closed during the immediate aftermath, as authorities processed the scene and conducted inquiries. [SCMP summary of search status ]; [GB News live updates indicating the perimeter and closures ].[4][2]
Would you like a concise timeline of events with exact timestamps and a short summary suitable for sharing, or would you prefer me to pull the latest official statements from Sussex Police or Coastguard directly? I can also monitor for any new developments and provide updates in real time.
Get the latest news on Brighton from ITV News Team. ITV News, the UK's biggest commercial news organisation.
www.itv.comLatest London news, business, sport, showbiz and entertainment from the London Evening Standard.
www.standard.co.ukA helicopter and two lifeboats assisted emergency response at the scene
www.gbnews.comWatch the latest from ITV News - The latest from Madeira Drive in Brighton as Sussex Police and the coastguard remain at the scene
www.itv.comOur Aquariums and Sanctuaries allow visitors to experience the ocean’s hidden marvels, and our expert staff are dedicated to, and passionate about conservation.
www.visitsealife.comWitnesses said paramedics tried to revive the woman
www.independent.co.ukThe coastguard is completing an ‘extensive search of the water’, but the force is not searching for anyone else.
www.scmp.comCatch up below with a Sussex Police update after the bodies of three women were recovered at Brighton beach.
news.sky.com