I don’t have live access to current news feeds in this chat, but I can summarize what’s widely known about the Duke lacrosse case and point you to where you can check the latest updates.
Direct answer
- The Duke lacrosse case began in 2006 with allegations against members of the Duke University lacrosse team. The initial criminal case resulted in indictments and widespread media attention, but all charges against the players were ultimately dismissed or dropped by prosecutors in 2007, and the case led to major discussions about due process and media coverage in high-profile investigations. Since then, the case has mostly been remembered as a high-profile example of a legal and reputational controversy rather than ongoing criminal proceedings. For the very latest developments or any new related actions, please consult current major outlets or Duke University communications.
Key context and where to look for updates
- Timeline and outcomes: The core timeline spans March 2006 through April 2007, with indictments, legal proceedings, and eventual dismissal/dropping of charges. Reputable recaps and timelines are available from major outlets and encyclopedic entries that summarize the events and outcomes. See general coverage from outlets that reported contemporaneously and retrospective analyses.
- Official Duke materials: Duke University’s official pages from the period discuss program changes, coaching transitions, and institutional responses, including how the lacrosse program was restructured and later resumed under new leadership.
- Major media retrospectives: Major outlets published retrospectives on the case highlighting the investigation’s conduct, public discourse, and legal outcomes. These provide context on how the case influenced policy and campus culture discussions beyond the courtroom.
If you’d like, I can:
- Pull a concise, sourced timeline of the case’s key events.
- Compare the initial allegations, investigations, and the eventual legal outcomes.
- Provide links to reliable current sources (news outlets, Duke statements) for the latest information.
Sources
Duke later modified the status of the two players to “administrative leave” and, soon after it became clear in court that Nifong’s statements were not credible, invited them to return in good standing, months before Cooper’s decision. In addition, in an effort to create a fresh start for the program, Duke replaced Coach Mike Pressler with an interim coach and, subsequently, with John Danowski, who previously coached the lacrosse team at Hofstra University.
today.duke.eduProsecutors Drop All Charges Against Duke Lacrosse Players Accused Of Sexual Assault
www.cbsnews.comDuke forfeited two games in response to acknowledged inappropriate behaviors by lacrosse team members. Subsequently, with the Durham district attorney saying he was investigating 46 players for possible involvement in a gang rape, President Brodhead decided it was inappropriate for Duke to keep playing lacrosse. "Sports have their time and place, but when an issue of this gravity is in question, it is not the time to be playing games," Brodhead said. … On April 5, he accepted the resignation...
today.duke.eduA month after a dancer told police she was assaulted at a team party, a promising season is over, the team's veteran coach is out of a job and two players face criminal indictments.
www.espn.comA year after they were indicted for a rape that investigators now say never happened, three Duke University lacrosse players are once again proclaiming their innocence.
www.foxnews.comAllegations of sexual assault involving the Duke University lacrosse team have roiled the campus in a storm of controversy and scandal.
www.espn.com